Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What we will miss most about Texas day 1: Family

(Facebook post October 2, 2013) 

It has often been said that friends are the family you choose. As we contemplate our last 24 hours in the great state of Texas, we continue to think about our family…our real flesh and blood and those whose friendships are now so dear that the lines have been blurred forever. I think George Eliot said it best, “Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” We have found a handful of cherished friends who have enveloped us into their lives and have become our safe place, our family. Those who have loving listened and courageously rebuked when needed, buoyed up and helped us balance when we have wobbled, celebrated the good times and willingly commiserated during the dark days and who commonly agree that the preferred dress code is always PJ’s and comfy cloths. You know who you are…and your friendship, your love, our connection runs deep-like forever!

Last but not least….Lil’ Brother… for the last several years, my real brother has been our roommate and has easily become a constant fixture in our lives. The last few years have easily been eventful, inspiring, restorative, and chuck full of growth for all of us. Neither of us ever anticipated we would live under the same roof as adults and we’ve reconnected and bonded in a way that many grown siblings don’t. This unforeseen and unforgettable season will be one I will always be grateful for. You can make me laugh like nobody else I know. You have taught me more about what is most important than anyone else I know. You inspire me. You have educated me. You have helped to center me. You have brought joy and laughter and depth and perspective and hope into our home. I am a better version of me because of you. You and Burke have been my bookends and my champions. This move back to the motherland does change the game for us but the grilled cheese sandwiches and frittata will never run dry. Love Love Love YOU!

This afternoon, Burke and I watched all of our treasures drive off into the distance. We bleached, swept, scrubbed and scoured and then turned in the keys to our apartment and drove off into the sunset. I cried on and off all afternoon thinking and remembering and reminiscing over the last three terrific years in Texas. We are both empty and full all at the same time and will sleep well tonight in Witcha, Kansas knowing how blessed we have been. Westward Ho! Onward and Forever Upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment