Saturday, October 4, 2014

100 Happy Days...Part 6

Day #51 – July 30, 2014 
With the Summer 2014 sadly coming to a close and with the announcement of Sharknado 2…I’ve been inspired to highlight five of the best/worst disaster movies ever made. I love a good explosion. I love a completing impractical situation that arc at about the 75 min mark. I love a predictable love connection between two damaged yet lovable hero’s…normally a divorced mom falls for an almost unemployed and rouge scientific nerdy bad boy. I love anticipating which supporting side character gets just enough air time to become believable and then dies at an epic moment…and often to save a bus full of seniors or a dog or critical piece of life saving technology. I love a good/bad disaster movie and they seem especially fitting during the summer. Should you be in the mood…here is how I rank the top five best/worst disaster movies:
5. Deep Impact (1998) staring Robert Duvall, Tea Leoni and Elijah Wood…plot highlights…unless a comet can be destroyed before colliding with Earth, only those allowed into shelters will survive. Which people survive? Total nail bitter.
4. Twister (2000) staring an angry Helen Hunt and her ex lover Bill Paxton…plot highlights…Bill and Jo Harding, advanced storm chasers on the brink of divorce, must join together to create an advanced weather alert system by putting themselves in the cross-hairs of extremely violent tornadoes. Helen rocks wind blown hair like nobody’s business.
3. Independence Day (1996) starting the bad boy favorite Will Smith, the loveable Bill Pullman as a young POTUS and who plays nerdy addicted super scientist better than the dreamy Jeff Goldblum (hubba hubba). Best quote of 1996…. rally speech…“Today…Today is OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!
2. Armageddon (1998) Bruce Willis plays the angry yet protective father, Billy Bob Thornton plays the grimy yet brilliant off shore oil man, young buck Ben Affleck was cast to appeal to the ladies and the lovely Liv Tyler brings them all together. Most moving and inspirational presidential call to arms of the 90’s
1. Dante’s Peak (1997) staring “James Bond eat your heart out,” Pearce Brosnan and the “why does she look familiar but I don’t really know her” Linda Hamilton. THIS film is actually one of my all time favorites. It’s got kids, local politics, the hope for love inside a small town, a bad to the bone grandma, a Surburban complete with a snorkel…AND… HOT LAVA! Plot summary: a volcanologist (is that even a real career?) arrives at a countryside named Dante’s Peak after a long dormant volcano, which has recently been named the second most desirable place to live in America, and discovers that Dante’s Peak, may wake up at any moment. OH…YES! YES! YES! 
‪#‎100HappyDays

Day #52 - July 31, 2014

Day #53 - August 1, 2014


Day #54 – August 2, 2014
High School. Three emotion and experience filled years that somehow have a strong impact on the rest of your life. It’s been twenty years since I roamed the halls of Taylorsville High School. Twenty years since I was responsible to know a locker combination. Twenty years since we walked in herds to the bathroom, to the Scone Cutter and down D hall. Twenty years since we used a ridiculous amount of mouse, gel, and hair spray to secure really big perm-ed hair and ratted bangs. Twenty years since clubs and teams and clicks shaped the perimeters of our social networks. How and why did we get our hair so big? How many football games did we actually win? How were lace collars, plaid shirts and so so so much denim ever considered a good idea? Twenty years. Twenty years?
There is something interesting about looking back to your teenage years with your grown-up adult eyes. And hasn't this reflective practice has been the topic for endless love songs and John Hughes films? High school reunions are a perfect blend of complete silliness and meaningful reminiscence and provide ample opportunities for self-reflection. I’ve been wondering….what would the adult version of me say to that insecure nerdy theater kid that I most absolutely was in high school? I think I’d look her square in the eyes, shake her a bit and tell her to start paying attention in class, start actually reading the books and completing the homework assignments, start believing that you really are enough, start looking out for those who may need a friend regardless of what others may think, allow yourself to relax a bit, have a little more fun and stop trying to BE…and just be.
I may never really understand why these three years get such play in conversation and inside our memories but today at a local city park and over a plate of boiled potatoes and chicken it felt good to be surrounded by people who shared in this common experience. The people who really mattered back then…were the people who helped make tonight a real celebration of human development. Feels good to have conquered most of the uncomfortable awkwardness of adolescence. I’m grateful that we all get better with time and the somewhat divisive and confusing lines of adolescence seem to blur a little or a lot with age. I’m grateful for the good people and friendships that were part of my life back then and for those connections and friendships that were rekindled tonight. I grateful for the shared experience of being a Taylorsville warrior and I’m equally grateful that life gets infinitely better with twenty more years.
We're the warriors and we're the best.
We've got courage deep inside. 
(Bla bla bla insert the rest of the fight song that nobody except Mike Winder really knew here....and then the big finish....)
W-A-double R-I-O-R-S!






Day #55 – August 3, 2014
I've always loved Cherrios and I'm a big fan of authentic and aware parenting. Check this out....love everything about it. 
‪#‎100HappyDays


Day #56 – August 4, 2014
‪#‎100HappyDays
Optimist quote



Day #57...part 2...- August 5, 2014
‪#‎100HappyDays


Day#58 – August 7, 2014
Happy Burke day! A few weeks ago, while exploring Jackson Hole, Burke and I stopped for a quick visit with my brother and his family who were also vacationing at beautiful Wyoming ranch house. My two teenage nephews, like many adolescent boys, have focused some time learning, creating and playing with homemade medieval weapons....I know....I know....so completely nerdy and yet it seems to be a necessary rite of passage for so so many. It's truly a wonder what a few roles of duck tape, some foam pieces and PVC pipes can turn into if given enough time, curiosity and teenage testosterone. When we arrived at the ranch we were shown their summer time arsenal and right before my eyes my now 38 year old husband returned to his teenage self and quickly began examining their handy work asking questions about their construction methods and material choice and all the while using words using I had never heard before in my life. My nephews lit up with joy and excitement as they knew they were connecting with a like minded nerd who truly spoke their language. Both boys, reveling in their creativity and overall accomplishments, puffed up a bit and bravely challenged their uncle to a duel. The three of them, all drunk with excitement, selected their homemade weapons and headed out to battle.
While Burke and I were dating, I learned that during his developmental years he and his brothers and cousins created similar swords and shields and battle axes in a similar way. This nerdy hobby may have spooked others girls but it did not really phase me as I come from a long line of nerdy enthusiasts. As I watched them first debate and then decide their weapons it became clear this would be absolutely hilarious to watch and provided me a glimpse of my husband as a nerdy teenage boy...priceless....please, enjoy the attached video.
It's not everyday that you see a giant grown man battle two determined teenagers and all behind a stunning mountain back drop, right? Well, this kind of thing actually happens a lot around our house...but with far fewer homemade weapons and normally within the expected Salt Lake City arena. My sweet husband willingly and courageously goes to battle for my benefit and for the good of our marriage and family all of the time. He rarely fights with duck tape swords but he bravely continues to protect, defend and provide in the most noble of ways. So very grateful that we are married. Burke makes everything better, he makes me laugh, he does my laundry, he keeps me informed, he cares for our cars and technology, he listens...and listens....and listens...and he does it with the happiest disposition. He works hard for me and for our currently imaginary children. He is good to the core and I'm so very happy to help celebrate 38 years. Burke Rich...Happy Birthday...you are my all time favorite person....duck tape swords and all.
‪#‎100HappyDays

Day #59 - August 7, 2014  

Day #60 – August 8, 2014
The moon tonight was clearly created for young lovers. Nobody puts on a wedding better than the Rich family and tonight's celebration for Burke's cousin 
Katie Jensen and her charming husband to be Aaron was picture perfect. The lovely bride and handsome groom were honored with a perfect blend of pink and peach flowers, ribbons and dresses, a prefect summer evening complete with a refreshing breeze, warm lighting provided by hanging lanterns, a delicious and unique array of food, gelato in sugar cones, a cake to beat all other cakes and most importantly the love of family and friends. The evening was so perfect I only snapped a few photos as things began to wrap up. Looking forward to continuing the festivities tomorrow and celebrating the creation of this new little family. Here's to summer wedding and young lovers.
‪#‎100HappyDays


No comments:

Post a Comment