Thursday, December 26, 2013

Day of Gratitude #1 – Strong Women

(Facebook post Nov 1, 2013)


I am grateful to be blessed with a collection of strong and powerful women who have made me who I am today. Is there anything as complex or dynamic as a determined woman? Without question, I am the person I am today because of the strength, vitality, compassion, creativity, and hope displayed by the women in my life. From professional mentors and AP reps to academic teachers and the YouthCity Mom’s paired with the Clayton Middle School PTA  then there are the female leaders in church not to mention the roommates and girl friends I feel sincerely grateful for the women in my life. Last week, Burke’s 90-year-old grandmother passed away and yesterday, while attending her funeral service, I was reminded again how grateful I am for the endless examples of goodness and grit displayed by the women in my life. Effie Dean Rich was a force to be reckoned with and had a lasting impact for good on so many people throughout her almost century of life. Harriet Emily Smith Parker, my maternal grandmother, passed away years ago but her love of the color yellow, her thrift and kindness and example continue to inspire me.  As the only girl in my family, I was not blessed with sisters growing up however my brothers have married amazing women who have taught and mentored me in ways no one else could. As a Rich, four new sisters-in-law are my trusted confidants and forever wingmen. Eight nieces year to day keep me on my toes and I’m forever in love with seventeen teen-age girls successfully navigating the teenage years in Dallas, Texas.  And last but not least….the two women who have had the greatest impact in my life are Melinda Snow Rich and my sweet mom EmilyAnn Robinson. Two very different women whose love and care for Burke and me in a specific and heartfelt and endless way.  I am who I am today because of my mothers love. My mother is a woman of strength and resiliency and has taught me more about what is right and real and good than any one ever could. God forever bless the women in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment