Thursday, December 26, 2013

Day of Gratitude #9 – My index finger and its amazing ability to heal itself

So, about a month and a half ago, while feverishly trying to finished a sink full of dishes, I sliced a huge chunk out of the index finger on my right hand as I was cleaning one of our paring knives. This is the point when I am sure you are thinking…seriously…she is posting about her finger???…Well, its not just my finger…it’s the fact that my body healed itself…right before my own eyes and I am constantly reminded of how cool that is. This cut was a real doozey and I carved out nice deep cannel almost an inch long. I clearly should have gone to the clinic for a few stitches but we were moving, I had to get on an airplane, my “to do before we move list” was endless and I really really really hate dealing with insurance forms. So. I cleaned it really well and liberally gooped Neosporin and applied band-aid after band-aid after band-aid for almost a month. It didn’t really hurt much but it was just a pain to keep clean and dry. And now, approximately one month later…my finger is not only fine…but, you can’t even tell where the gash was. It’s completely healed! Seriously! My body grew back together! Completely! Do you, do we realize how totally impressive that is? I have absolutely no medical training beyond a few first aid classes taught at girls camp about a million years ago so, I’m totally clueless as to how this whole healing thing works and to be honest -I’m okay remaining in the dark as to the details…but I have say that I am so incredibly grateful for my body and how the great Creator designed a way for our bodies to regenerate. This little cut was just that…a little cut and I realize there are so many bigger medical and physical and emotional conditions stretching and challenging us. I’m just so grateful that I’ve had a whole month to marvel at this process. It’s just truly so inspiring how things that were once broken can be healed. I’m grateful for band-aids and Neosporin and all of the much more sophisticated medical advances that help put us back together, heal up our wounds, and remind us what is really most important. We are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment